Tuesday 1 October 2019

Ad Astra *


I got to see Ad Astra last night. I can't say I was expecting much, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I was going to list some of the tech issues with it but when I got to a dozen I stopped. I know its a film, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the director wanted to make the most realistic space film ever, and if you are setting a film in the "near future" then I think you have more responsibility to make the tech accurate. We already seem to be at the point where Elon Musk science-fact looks more impressive and futuristic than much of SF! The film nods a lot to Apocalypse Now and 2001, but whilst I realise its all meant to be about the inner journey of the main character I'm afraid I just didn't really see any of that, and the ending was decidedly anti-climatic.

Anyway the one bright spot was the most realistic looking moon surface I've every seen in an SF film. Odd that they only had 1970s era Moon Buggies to drive on it though, and were escaping "moon pirates" who otherwise played no role in the film.

And of course that got me to thinking of my GZG Moongrunts and now that my 3' moon/asteroid play mat has arrived I really ought to get the troops on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment