|View from 3 Pl. 1Pl attacking from right to left|
Well that ended quickly. 3Pl provided a mediocre fire-base as they couldn't really see the target - certainly not after the smoke went down. 1Pl started moving though the open orchard but started taking casualties from the German Zug. 3 Pl started laying smoke late, but the wind was pushing it back towards 3Pl, so they couldn't adjust well to cover the rear of the building (off image to left above).
|1 Pl (centre top) raked by fire on leaving the orchard by Germans at upper left|
As a result as 1Pl emerged they were due to edge of table too much in line with the German defence (especially as the reserve Gruppe had moved to close the back-door), and not obscured by the smoke. In one round the reserve Gruppe inflicted 3 hits on each unit, which added to the 3 they already had reduced each section to 2 men, and so no longer effective. With only 3Pl left, and that a bit battered, and the German Zug more or less untouched and in a strong defensive position the Company Commander decided to call it a day. Game over.
Overall not bad. Quite a realistic result, I remember being taught that a good MG position is a Platoon attack target, the Germans had 2 of them, plus the two platoons which are each Coy attack targets, so trying to do this with one unreinforced company was always going to be a tall order!
What I liked about IASBM:
- The blinds - but is the CoC patrol phase better?
- The very simple modifiers
- The mortar and smoke mechanism
- The variable movement
- The tea break card
- Card based activation
- Bucket of dice - becoming a convert
And playing at 1:1 figure to ground scale. But 6mm is just too small for 1:1 men, and looking forward to using the new 10mm figures and happy to have only a ~2:1 error ratio.
What I liked less:
- Suppression seemed secondary to damage, not the other way around
- Shock and damage didn't seem to achieve much different, in this game damage dominated
- Big Men rarely got the change to use their range of actions (since a small game?)
- Not sure that every Pl needs a Big Man, if the Pl activates as a unit anyway - gets confusing
- The damage table - you have to look everything up
I think overall CWC/BKC is closer to what I want, but neither is ideal so may be back to writing my onw, but more influenced by IABSM/CWC than WRG!