Sunday 2 June 2019

Games Expo 2019


Just back from a good day at Games Expo. Really need to think about 2 days next year so as to get more time to actually play games and to hear some of the lecture sessions. As ever compared to Salute the audience is a lot younger, more gender balanced and full of families.

So, some of the things that caught my eye:


It's always worth a quick walk around the competition tables to see what is going on. This is the miniatures end with (I think) Fields of Glory and DBM competitions.


 Some heavy duty 6mm troop lines!


The ultimate RPG table - a flat mounted video screen that can display whatever terrain you want!


Where wargaming and table top gaming collide. Song of Ice and Fire table top game (I think) with simple plastic miniatures. Ugly as sin! Why bother with the fancy terrain cloth?


Love it! Gaming the retail space!


Multiverse War. My daughter (serious gamer) rated this best-in-show yesterday and tempted to agree with her. It has elements of wargaming and boardgaming, but strikes me it combines them better than Memoir 44 etc. You start with hidden hex tiles between your bases and uncover the terrain as you advance. Some simple DMs for terrain and troop types, and development ladders and unit manufacture akin to an RTS. Going to Kickstarter soon. Check it out also on BoardGameGeek and Facebook. I'm already working out how to play it on 10cm Hexon tiles with my 6mm or 20mm WOTR armies!


Blast from the past - L'Attaque. My uncle used to have this and we played it a lot as a kid. My parents then got me Tritactics (the land/sea/air version) one Christmas which got played continuously.



Leaders. Sold out by the time I got around to it.  A cross between Risk (which the board is almost stolen from) and Twilight Struggle, but mediated by a tablet app. Looks well worth buying.




Didn't try it, but they 3D scan your face off a smartphone and then 3D print you onto a figure. Very tempted to give it a try.


My only real purchase, Beyond Waterloo is a counterfactural hex-and-counter style game from an old (2011) copy of the Against the Odds magasine which recreates the whole of the situation in 1815 after Napoleon returned from Elba. So this isn't just the 100 days, but the Spanish, Italian, Rhine fronts as well. Very apt as Nick and I are just getting to the culmination of our 100 Days Campaign (see next post) and have been talking about a whole-1815 campaign like this for a while.

I did buy a couple of other things - but didn't walk away with them so I'll wait til they arrive. Things I didn't get were a moon mat (but think I can source from Deepcut) and a Traveller book (as they'd sold out of the new Compendium.

All in all though a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment