Monday 3 June 2019

Blucher 100 Days Campaign - Crunch time!




Note: View the 100 Days posts for background and previous installments.

Nick and I have finally got the Blucher 100 Days campaign moving again after the Skirmish at Gembloux back in March.

With my (French) main thrust between the Allied armies frustrated by the 2 day Battle of Sombreffe, and my flying column trying to seize the Prussian supply points being equally frustrated at Gembloux it was time for a rethink.



This was the situation at the end of the 18th June. The area around Sombreffe was declared out of bounds (nobody wanted a Day 3!), and columns P and B had bounced apart after Gembloux - although my B was now conveniently on the eastern side of the river.

My new plan was to switch my focus to a race to the victory exits (B1 and A6). I have to exit 12 units of any one of them (not in combination) by end 25th June, otherwise the Allies win. To achieve the goal I decided to do a bit of deception. B would split and move towards both supply points still, but expecting P to cover them and move E of me, I'd then shoot N and W to get to A6. The main force would sent two weak columns (but Nick didn't know that unless he scouted) towards A6, pass some village of Waterloo. Crucially the main bulk of my Army would take the very last moves, so hopefully getting him to commit to a N or NW move before it's obvious where I'm actually going.

As it turned out Nicks moves were pretty much what I wanted, his Brits moving a bit too much W, but as my B moved N and actually hit the A row (with his P eventually coming in  pursuit) he actually dispatched two more Prussian columns away from the main body to protect A6.


This was the situation on 21 Jun. The British made good speed towards B1, I was never going to get it unopposed, but A6 gathered a good (and wasted) defensive screen, although he eventually released W and V to help the other Brits once M and O were in position.

My main column have swung south as far as Charleoi had move W and then rapidly up the Soignies-Hal road (Wellington was right after all!), shaking out into their battle order as they went.



By the 24th the units were in position and battle was ready to be joined. I now only have one more day to exit from B1 or A6 - so I need to either beat the Prussians (which seems unlikely, but a pity as the exit square - the gates of Brussels - is actually on the table), or fight through to B2 during the Battle of Hal on the 24th, then probably fight another battle on the 25th centered on B1-B2, but at which I just need to cover my rear whilst the Grand Armee marches off towards the Channel Ports!

Talk about playing it down to the wire!



No comments:

Post a Comment