Monday 1 February 2021

Mobile Phone Desert Houses

 


When I got a new iPhone a while ago (I think it says iPhone 4!) I thought that the box it was in was a) sturdy and b) nicely proportioned and sized for a 28mm house, so I squirrelled it away, and the acquired another one somewhere along the line. With wet lockdown January weekends to fill I decided it was about time I turned them into those houses. The start point is above, cutting slit windows, door and a ceiling trapdoor.

Then I used some scrap foamboard to make the parapets, and added some small bits of MDF for the ends of the wooden joists. I also had  as lightly splayed box from some Christmas chocolates that I thought might make a useful SF building.


Everything then got a black spray under coat outside, and probably more importantly in.


Everything then had a good smear of tile grout & fix.


At about this point I realised that the MDF had been two-ply and the top ply kept breaking off as I roughly handled the models putting the grout on - so the joists ended up shorter than I'd planned.

Then a sand down. In retrospect I think I'd have sanded a bit harder - I need a Dremmel or something.


Then the paint job. I decided to try two different styles, so one pair had a main coat of Homebase Earthy Clay then heavily dry-brushed with Potter's Clay, whilst the other pair had Potter's Clay as the base coat with Peace as the highlight.


In retrospect there wasn't really enough difference between the Potter's Clay and Peace, whereas Potter's Clay nicely toned down what I initially thought was a rather dark Earthy Clay. A touch of Vallejo Mahogany Brown for the joists and all was done.



They're not going to win any prizes, but seem to me to be a perfectly serviceable set of desert houses for my next 28mm skirmish game.






2 comments:

  1. Fantastic David! A brilliant idea and superb execution.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - just realised your avatar is the Lasalles front cover - see a 2nd edition is out. Is the game any good?

    ReplyDelete