Thursday 7 May 2020

Tabletop Simulator


One of my aims during the lockdown was to get some remote wargaming done, as well as solo and campaign gaming. I've cast my eye over virtual tabletops (VTTs) in the past, mainly 1st gen like Vassal and 2nd gen like Roll20, but those are all very much 2D platforms. Tabletop Simulator (TTS) and Tabletopia are very much 3rd Gen and 3D based - although still short of my ideal 3D/VR set up - see http://newconverj.blogspot.com/2019/11/virtual-reality-wargaming.html.

We had a good game of Codenames at work on TTS for a virtual going-away do, and I started looking at what proper wargaming kit is available - initially for WW2 and Napoleonic.

For WW2 there's quite a bit of Bolt Action stuff - which is ideal given how well its scored in my tests. But of course since this is a VTT rather than a game platform, the models and just models, so you can play any rules you like. I've collected all the models and gizmos I need for a game (models are probably bigger than 28mm), and so just need to give it a go.


I've spent a bit more time getting the Napoleonic side sorted. Command and Colours seems to dominate (the inevitable equating grids with simplicity) but there are also some "Black Powder" armies which give a good range of nations but have some odd gaps and oddities (all gun crews have sabers drawn) - but of course these are all free and done for love so shouldn't criticise!. Again figures are more like 40mm, so have been painfully through all the British and French figures I could find and reduced them to 20mm and rebased them (virtually) for SLS. I've also uploaded some activation cards, and created the SLS dice - using the custom component options.



To move the troops around (typically 6 bases per unit) I've made some semi-transparent movement trays, and the figures "stick" to them nicely. Only issue is you can't rotate the tray - if you do the figures stay facing forwards! That's really the only glitch.

French line ready to attack, Bde cards out for reference


So all ready to go and hopefully Nick and I can find time over the next week or so to give it a try.


Highlanders wait in line to receive the French attack

The Household cavalry rests awaiting orders

Oh yes, if that backdrop looks familiar it is Hougoumont. I took some 720 degree photos when I was staying there with Nick and Alan a few years ago, and they import straight into TTS as a backdrop. So we can do our Napoleonic wargaming inside Hougoumont, or even out on the field of Waterloo itself!





No comments:

Post a Comment