Sunday 11 November 2018

Remembrance Sunday






When I was a kid we used to watch the Cenotaph service on TV, and then afterwards I’d re-enact it with my toy soldiers. I can’t remember whether they were Britains or Airfix 1/32nd or even 1/76th, but what I do know is that my Britains Royal Marine band always provided the “music”.

So on the 100th anniversary of the WW1 Armistice it seemed appropriate to dig the band out of retirement and to stand in tribute to all who died, from whatever side, in WW1, and indeed in all armed conflict. Appropriately for old soldiers (they last stood for parade about 1975, and probably first stood 1970 or so - so almost the 50th Anniversary) 9 of the figures had lost limbs, based or even heads and so were unable to parade - but having got them down to the work bench it would seem ungrateful not to fix them up and put them on a decent base before returning them to slightly better storage!


No comments:

Post a Comment