Saturday 10 June 2023

Academic, Hobby and Professional Wargaming - all in one week!


In the last week I’ve spoken at an academic wargaming event, spent the weekend playing a big hobby wargame, and then run a couple of my wargames at a professional wargaming event! I guess this is the life I’ve chosen for myself now. I bet my ten year-old self playing his first wargame would never have believed it - or thought it even possible!



Starting the week, on Tuesday I was on a panel at KCL for their Wargaming Week, talking about urban needless to say. I was back there again on Thursday for practitioners workshop on academic and professional wargaming. I’ve never thought about Positivist and Post-Positivist  perspectives on wargaming (or anything else) before.



On Tuesday it was time to get the toy soldiers out for a wonderful 20mm Battle of Borodino in Francis’ barn. I started of defending the Flèches but was moved to. Crumbing left wing on Sunday. I understand the final result was a marginal Russian victory as we managed to retake the Redoubt.



Then on Sunday night it was straight over to Bristol ready for DSET - the Defence Simulation, Education and Training conference and exhibition. On the Monday they had a Wargames Fair at which I ran my Festung:Orotona game (above), and then on Tuesday I ran Rubble Town - a 20-30 minute beer-and-pretzels game using the same core mechanics as Festung, Both seemed to go down well.

Now I’m back home the focus is on getting City and CEMA ready for COW, and making some progress with the Metaverse book. I might even find some time for a wargame for some relaxation!



No comments:

Post a Comment