Saturday 15 January 2022

2021 Review/2022 Plans

 



It's still only mid January so I can just about sneak in a "what I did in 2021/what I plan to do in 2022" blog post.

What I Planned to do in 2021 and Actually Did!

The big one was undoubtably Waterloo60, with most of the early lock down being spent doing terrain, and most of the summer! There were also at least 4 practice games, 2 by Zoom, so quite honestly I'm not surprised if my plans to do other things took a beating (not that they've improved since August!).

Painting wise I did some ECW, some more Russians (2 batches) and some WOTR - so at least a bit of each. Post August seems to have been mainly on different varieties of Albedo ACP164 figures! I did in my defence paint 6 entire armies - all in 2mm - for Napoleonic and WW2 ready for my portable wargame.

Games wise I did manage to get through four different 1984 period Company-level rules sets as part of the Company Mega-Test, and will get started on the WW2 rules in the next month or so. I did managed the 2nd Battle of Newbury, twice.

There were several games of ACP164 (Pebble Park should be in MW&BG shortly - second article I wrote in 2021), and of Stargrave and Five Parsecs and hybrids. ACP164 still wins as a on-the-table game system although Five Parsecs has a nice campaign wrapper.

And that was about that!


What I Planned to do in 2021 and Didn't Do!

Most of this lot!


No Napoleonic decadal battle, only one batch each of WOTR/ECW/Nap, only one ECW battle, no WOTR battle, no modern 28mm (to be fair the Kickstarter still hasn't arrived!). The 10mm WW2 was bought at Salute but is still next to paint. Apart from the MegaTest no further on BAOR gaming, but plans for the urban terrain gathering. Figures bought and painted, scenery made and boxes filled for the portable wargame, but no game played yet! Given COVID (that's my excuse) not battlefield walks or visits, but lots of  Zoom lectures!


What I Plan to do in 2022

Waterloo61 planning has started, hoping to do in May, which means that the we may even get to do Quatre Bras in the autumn. Luckily no new terrain needed for Waterloo61, and probably little for QB, and figures wise I just want to do about 6 new French battalions as I had to use some really ropey Airfix ones for Waterloo60. Also plan to do at least one Russian batch, and possibly a British Peninsular batch. One decadal battle and finally play General d'Armee and possibly one or two  of the other new Napoleonic sets (assuming more don't come out in 2022!)

One more WOTR batch (last before I move on to 100YW), and possibly last for a long while ECW batch. At least one battle for each period (well underway already for WOTR!).

Paint the 10mm WW2 and use them to complete the Company MegaTest. Possibly start the Battalion MegaTest (looking forward to playing 'O' Group) but that might be 2023. Do at least one BAOR game. Build out my 10mm urban terrain. Warrior/BTR in 10mm possibly towards the end of the year.

Once the 28mm Moderns arrive (Ultramodern Kickstarter) actually get them on the table. Get the ACP164 ILR Assault troops painted and on the table, and also play with the ACP164 terrorists (start the Almata campaign?) Probably not much else SF unless I can start a Five Parsecs campaign as a background task.

Try and write 3 articles (not counting Pebble Park which comes out in 2022 but was written last year). Have drafts for at least that many so should be do'able.

That should keep me busy! There is also one huge project starting, but more on that anon.


What I Plan to do Somewhen

A couple of ideas have been on the list for ages, but I've still not got around to them, and can't see that changing in 2022:

  • A "Dark Materials" wargames army in 28mm, and find a suitable set of rules (just love the idea of painting all those daemons!
  • Creating a 3D Catan set out of Hexon terrain hexes (have almost all the bits, just need to sort how to do roads and towns)
  • Play some games with the 1/2400 (?) WW2 Naval I bought nearly a decade ago!
  • Play Phil Sabin's Fire and Manoeuvre on Hexon 
  • Finish the 100 Days campaign Nick and I started well pre-COVID (just needs the Battle of Hal - one for Rose Hill Wargaming Group?)
  • Start a new Napoleonic campaign with Nick - central Europe?
  • Start my own ECW campaign
  • Bigger 2mm armies on 10cm hexes for BIG Napoleonic Battles on a small scale


That should all keep me busy!



1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing what you do. I especially liked your rules reviews/ comparsions/ Mega test.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete