Wednesday 10 February 2021

1985 Company MegaTest - Bolt Action Reality Check

 


Bolt Action Reality Check is the name I give my version of Bolt Action with various house rules particularly for ranges, firepower etc. For the Modern Version I used the stats at Jay's Wargaming Madness.

Presentation

My 4 page BARC QRS and Jay's 7-10 page QRS, all PDF.

Set-Up

Same as Team Yankee, sides reversed from the first two.


BMPs stream into the assault


How It Played

Similar pattern to the others. A tank duel which the British again lost, the Brits getting to Semmenstedt. There was a nice assault from Remilingen  which got bogged down in a flurry of pins from a Fires task. The Brits in the town weathered a Soviet 122mm strike  reasonably well, but a couple of FV432s were lost. A Soviet assault along the bottom baseline into the woods outside Semmenstedt (Bolt Action melees are viscious),  so with only the odd Milan and Carl Gustav to worry about they just stood off and started demolishing the buildings with the 73mm guns on the 8 remaining BMPs.

The attack out of Remilingen bogs down in a hail of 105mm HE


Rules Impression

That played pretty well, I do like the Bolt Action pin mechanic. Still bits of BARC I'd like to tweak and I need to integrate Jay's modern stuff into it too.  Playing it at a Company scale worked well, I activated at the Platoon level but let each section do its own action. I do need to think about pins, as they have to be allocated at section level to have the proper effect, but then when you roll to activate what do you take - I think I took the worst section each time and that seems a reasonable compromise, but then if you pass do you only take 1 off that section? 

Overall

As already mentioned (I think) adding the 7DTTR activation mechanism on top of the BA dice, and then Battlegroup:NORTHAGs Battle Rating ENDEX system could give a very nice game. Good but still worth improving on. Overall 8.5/10.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment