Monday 19 February 2018

Winter 20mm French Painting


December and January were dedicated to doing nine French Napoleonic units as part of my commitment to the Waterloo @ 60 plan - I get to do all the French. All Newline figures. Strikes me the quality of design is a bit variables - the standing Cuirassiers are beautiful, but the Guard HA appear to have Guard FA coat-tails, and the centre companies of the Light Infantry don't have swords. I'm also not loving the mix of poses in the unit packs - one of the reasons for going to metal was to get away from the random collection of poses in plastics. I think I might in future buy the figures in pose packs so that I get exactly what I want.

Here are the units.

Cuirassiers


First time I've done a trumpeter in Imperial Livery - like it more than I thought I'd do.





Guard Horse Artillery

A rather dark shot, but coat tails clearly visible. Officer was converted from a Hussar Elite Company (I put a mounted figure on all my HA bases so you can see which they are)



Light Infantry


I did two of the 4 battalions as the 14e Legere as at one time they had coloured cloth (light blue for centre companies, red for carabiners, yellow for voltigeurs) wrapped around their shakos. In fact this might only have been when they had white "Imperial" uniforms but I thought it would be fun to do anyway! The other two battalions are standard light infantry. Of course realised afterwards that most regiments had 3 battalions fielded at Waterloo, so will need to start painting in 3s not 2s!












And a final shot of the whole group.



No comments:

Post a Comment